On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, CMS released the CY 2021 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule Final Rule. This rule contains a myriad of policy and payment updates for physicians and practitioners who bill Medicare Part B. For the therapy community, key updates include:
- Finalized a >10% reduction to the conversion factor for 2021 ($32.41 vs. $36.09 in 2020), resulting in an approximate 9% reduction in rates for outpatient therapy services in 2021.
- Confirmed two new HCPCS G codes describing virtual check-ins (G2251) and remote evaluation of recorded video/images (G2250) for PTs, OTs, and SLPs in private practice.
- Confirmed that PTs, OTs, and SLPs in private practice are able to deliver and bill e-visits (G2061-G2063) on a permanent basis.
- Direct supervision may be provided using real-time, interactive audio/video technology through the later of the end of the calendar year in which the COVID-19 PHE ends or 12/31/2021.
- Added PT, OT, and SLP CPT codes to the Medicare telehealth list on a Category 3 basis, however, CMS is not able to add PTs, OTs, and SLPs as eligible providers of telehealth on a permanent basis.
- Confirmed that PTs and OTs may delegate skilled maintenance therapy to PTAs and OTAs as clinically appropriate.
For more information, access Casamba’s CY 2021 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule Final Rule Summary.
Access the fact sheet here.
Access the final rule here.